Tuesday, December 26, 2006

My first hand dyed yarns


I bought some Koigu yarn to start on Eunny's endpaper mitts, but was disappointed by the color when it arrived. I thought I'd try to re-dye it to a better color. This is my first ever dye experience so I think I went a little overboard with the amount of dye I used. I just put in the Koigu with a tablespoon of turquoise and a teaspoon of teal. It dyed really dark. The color was still pretty vivid in the water so I threw in some Bare from KnitPicks too. Now I have two different turquoise yarns. I keep rinsing the dark one and keep having a fair amount of dye rinsing out. I must have rinsed 15 times or more now. I hope it starts running clear soon. I wanted to start the mitts tomorrow and it won't be dry at this rate.

The turquoise one is the one I dropped in with the Koigu. For the other one I used yellow, turquoise and a little teal. They are darker at the bottom since they're still wet.

No comments: