Sunday, September 30, 2007

Alpine milestone

This is my Sunbeam Alpine. I have missed her. She's been being reworked for a long, long time.
Paul finally turned over the keys. She's only been unsafe for over 10 years. I thought I would lose it and finally smash her or sell her before this day came. Now (per DH) she is acceptably safe for me to drive. (Of course we took a drive to the hardware store and she wouldn't start when we came out. If I'd gone by myself I would have been stuck.)
It was a lovely night for a drive. The Maxfield Parrish colored sky and palm trees lit by the sunset. It is air is very clear. We drove by a couple of orange groves(of the few left) and could feel the 5-10 degree temperature change in the air. It wasn't that long ago that the whole area was like this. Now we have 110+ degree temperatures regularly in the summer. We drove by an entire block of new warehouse type business buildings that used to be groves. There is an entire housing development and super gas station with car wash just down the road that used to be orange groves. My pre-teen/teen age kids say remember when Redlands used to be nice and there were all sorts of orange groves here.
Perhaps I should break the negative theme of the end of old Redlands and get back to the beautiful evening and my cute little roadster. I have missed her and she's mine again! She is a 1954 Sunbeam Alpine.
A few years ago I was driving home from work when a number of power poles and lines were knocked over by heavy winds. I managed to stop my car about a car length from where the last pole snapped and fell in front of me. Unfortunately the power lines fell across the car, directly over me, and crushed the windshield right where was sitting. Did I mention the top was down and the only way the live lines did not hit me was that I ducked over the passenger seat just in time? I can tell you when I looked up and saw those lines coming down on me did I ever move(and swear). Anyway, I lucked out. Nobody knows how I got out of there alive. The lines were still live when I climbed up and jumped out of the car. Had I touched the ground and still been touching the car I would have fried too. I would say I was really lucky, but it really had to be more than that. The car had a few dings, but was mostly alright. Then more and more things started going wrong with her. My husband has been working on the car now for years. It has a new engine, new brakes, a new radiator, carbeurator, lights, shifter...maybe more. Now I need to start work on the interior and get her painted. I am thinking a yellowy gold might be nice. Really it's nice to know I can just get in her and go(if we get the safety switch issue fixe, since I don't know the ins and out of the wiring under the hood.)
Here's a picture of my daughter with her new glasses so grandma can see them.

No comments: