Thursday, March 1, 2007

Parent Conference day

No photo today. Worked til 8 p.m. to make sure any parent who wants to talk to their child's teacher can do so. Very light crowd. That's unusual because I bribe my students to come by offering free homework passes. It's so important to communicate with parents I feel I should do what I can to get them to come to school. I teach middle school. For some reason many parents feel they should let their preteens fend for themselves as soon as they get to middle school. The reality is that a lot of them revert to a much younger developmental stage behavior-wise and parents should get right in there to guide them to make the right choices now. Otherwise they will likely have a lot to try to overcome later. Once they are showing good choices in this new environment it's okay to give them more leeway...but make sure you know they are still making those good choices by checking. Some let you believe that everything is fine. Make sure you SEE for yourself.
End of lecture...
Saw an awesome meteorite go down not a mile from my house right before getting home. It was a big ball of green-yellow fire that died out as it went behind the Morey Mansion at the end of the street. I think it may have gone down around the drainage project off Barton Road. How cool was that. Is it a falling star if it looks like a huge ball of flame? I made a great wish!!!

No comments: