Saturday, May 26, 2007

Near miss

We started our Memorial Day weekend by visiting a friend and another friend's yarn store. Today on the way to Designer Handknits in Riverside, my daughter and I were very lucky to miss being rear-ended on the freeway by just one car. We heard a horrible braking and crunching crash, only to see the car behind us pulling over to the side of the road. The car behind them had the entire front end smashed in and the windshield destroyed. Then a young boy got out of the crashed car. This was the fast lane. I hope everyone was alright. We called 911 immediately. The car that had been hit stopped and the driver got out. It was a Mercedes SUV so I think they probably were able to drive again on their way once the reports were filled out. It was a place in the road where traffic always slows down due to construction around a poorly designed freeway interchange. We were all slowing at a reasonable rate. The driver who crashed must have been distracted as traffic slowed.
I was too busy describing the accident to the 911 operator to get too worried, but my daughter was shaking until long down the road. It was a good day, we were spared.

No comments: